China-Australia Trade War – level 3
In 2018, Australia banned the Chinese company Huawei from supplying equipment for the 5G mobile network. Australia said that the reason had been national security risks, which was criticized by Huawei as being politically motivated.
China continues to put pressure on Australia because of Australia´s refusal to install Huawei´s 5G network. Last month, Huawei said that it would end its sponsorship of an Australian rugby league club, and relations between Australia and China have tightened this year after Australia called for independent international investigation into the source of the coronavirus pandemic.
China was angered by the move and the country blocked imports of several Australian products, for example beef, wine, barley, and lobster. However, China is careful not to disrupt supplies of iron ore which the country desperately needs for its steel industry.
Difficult words: politically motivated (carried out in the interests of a government or political party), barley (a grain that is used to make food, beer, and whiskey), disrupt (to interrupt), iron ore (a rock or mineral from which iron is extracted or removed).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.