China Floods – level 3
After weeks of intense flooding, nearly 300,000 people have been evacuated along the Yangtze River in eastern China.
The downpour damaged homes and infrastructure, and it left many people without food and shelter. More than 5,000 people have been forced to evacuate as the massive floods moved east. In Poyang County, over two feet of rain has fallen, and the Chinese Fire department said that 54 boats were deployed to rescue almost 2,000 trapped people.
Meanwhile, in Shexian County, post-disaster disinfection work has already started. According the local media, this has been the largest flood that the area has recorded in decades.
Difficult words: downpour (heavy rain), infrastructure (the things that a city needs to runs such as electricity, water, or roads), deployed (brought into action), disinfection (cleaning).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos