China solar ban – level 2
Chinese media reported that the country would ban the outside sale of solar panel components.
China controls 75% of the world’s solar supply chain, and Western countries are not very happy about the situation. The United States and Europe would like to have their own solar energy industry, but they currently depend on components from China. China’s ban should cover photovoltaic technology but not China’s solar panels themselves.
Before China controlled the market, Western countries had the right skills and knowledge for solar technology. If Western companies want to build factories for solar panel components, it will take them many years.
Difficult words: component (a part of a machine or vehicle), supply chain (all the people and companies who make and deliver a product), photovoltaic technology (materials and devices which change sunlight into electricity).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
Is it more important for China to maintain its dominant control over the solar panel supply chain or for Western countries to have a larger share of the market?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos