China solar ban – level 3
China may ban the export of technology for solar panels. The country dominates the industry by controlling at least 75% of its global supply chain. This situation creates repercussions for the West’s hope to create its own green energy industry.
In the “chip war” between the West and China, America is slowing China’s technological development. America restricts the exports of tools and software used to make advanced chips. Chinese media reported that the ban covers technology and machinery used to create solar panel parts such as large wafers, black silicon, and ultra-efficient silicon ingots. However, to protect the export market, the ban doesn’t apply to China’s solar panels themselves.
Western companies have the experience and intellectual property used in the solar industry that developed in America and Europe. This industry occurred before low-cost China scaled up its production and had control. However, building new factories for solar parts would take a few years, and creating an entire solar supply chain could take four times as long.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What are the consequences of the Chinese ban on solar panel technology exports?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.