China stops Philippine fishermen – level 1
The Philippines is mad at China. They say China put barriers in the sea. These barriers stop Filipino fishermen.
The Philippines’ coast guard and fisheries bureau are not happy. China says that the sea belongs to them and they can do what they want. But other countries like Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei, Indonesia, and the Philippines also say it is theirs. The place which they fight about is called the Scarborough Shoal. China takes it from the Philippines. It happens in 2012. But later, China lets Filipino fishermen go there.
Now, it’s a problem again because China puts the barriers in the sea. This has a bad impact on Filipino fishermen and their lives.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What can the Philippines do to resolve their dispute with China over the Scarborough Shoal?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.