China wants peace talks – level 3
China’s government has called for peace talks between Ukraine and Russia.
On Friday, the first anniversary of Russia’s invasion, China released a 12-point position paper, and it urged all parties to avoid nuclear escalation of the conflict and to end attacks on civilians.
According to a Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson, China has always maintained the stance that all efforts to resolve the crisis peacefully should be encouraged and supported. The country is willing to continue to work with the international community to play a constructive role in politically resolving the Ukrainian crisis. China’s foreign ministry also said that it wasn’t aware of reports about talks between Russia and a Chinese company for the purchase of drones.
China doesn’t provide any arms sales to conflict regions or warring parties. Everything that China has done is promoting peace and dialogue.
Difficult words: position paper (a formal written statement), stance (an opinion or attitude), warring (in a conflict with each other).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What is China's stance on the Ukraine conflict?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos