China Wants to Be Bigger – level 3
The Chinese president announced plans of reunification of China and Taiwan.
He thought Taiwan would operate like Hong Kong, and it would remain a democracy but under China. He added that any Taiwanese attempts to claim independence could be met with armed force by China.
Regarding Hong Kong, the New York Times has reported that Hongkongers believe their freedom is gradually disappearing. The Taiwanese president said that she hopes that the international community is paying attention and it will speak out on behalf of Taiwan. Several US lawmakers want the US to support Taiwan.
Difficult words: announce (officially say), reunification (becoming one country again), remain (stay), attempt (a try), claim (say that something is yours), regarding (about, when it comes to…), gradually (step by step).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.