China’s New Child Law – level 2
China changed its law to let married people have three children instead of two. This was because of a dramatic fall in births. The census showed that the Chinese population grew at its slowest rate since the 1950s.
There was an online poll about the three-child law, and it asked if people thought they were ready for three children. Many people said they were not ready, and others said that they were ready or waiting.
In 2016, China ended its one-child law, so that married people could have two children. The high costs in cities stopped some people from wanting to start families. Now, the government also wants to help parents more.
Difficult words: instead of (when you change something for something else), census (the process when you count all the people who live in a country), poll (when you ask people who represent a larger group what they think about something).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.