China’s New Child Law – level 3
China changed its policy to allow married couples to have three children instead of the limit of two.
This was due to a dramatic decline in births; the census showed the Chinese population grew at its slowest rate during the last decade since the 1950s.
There was a hashtag about the three-child policy with a poll about if people thought they were ready to have three children. 29,000 of 31,000 people said they were not ready, and others said they were ready or thinking about it.
People interviewed about the policy also showed unsure feelings. One woman said that it was expensive to buy a house and pay for education, so it might be too expensive to have more children.
In 2016, China stopped its one-child policy so that couples could have two children. The cost of raising children in cities has stopped people from wanting to start families. Now, the government also wants to support parents more.
Difficult words: policy (a law that affects how people live), dramatic decline (a large fall), hashtag (a popular idea on the Internet which is marked with a ‘#’ sign), poll (when you ask people who represent a larger group what they think about something).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.