China’s pig farms – level 2
To raise a pig costs about two and a half times more in China than in the US. The reasons are that feed is expensive, and pigs have many diseases.
Chinese pig breeders want to change the situation, and they think that genetics can help them. Around a hundred pig farms are in a special program where farmers try to breed new pigs. These pigs will grow faster, eat less, and more piglets will be born to one sow.
Some experts say that the program will be difficult because Chinese pig breeders have little experience. They don’t know how to get the information, which is necessary for the program. Also, Chinese people may not like the meat because they have different tastes than Europeans.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.