China’s slowing economy – level 3
In China’s current economic travails, the US and other Group of Seven nations increasingly see evidence of deep-seated structural problems that ultimately will strengthen the West’s hand against a weakening geopolitical competitor.
The view emerging from officials in Washington, Rome, Tokyo, and other capitals, who spoke with reporters mostly on the condition of anonymity in recent days, is that the dominant economic narrative that has guided the flows of capital around the globe for decades is flipping fast.
If China once seemed on an inevitable path to overtaking a declining America as the world’s leading economic power, that’s no longer the case. The calculations in Washington and beyond are increasingly about how to deal with a China that, even if it is not yet in absolute decline, may well be approaching a peak in power.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
How have officials in Washington and other G7 nations reacted to the challenges China poses to the West's interests?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.