China’s three-child policy – level 2
China introduced its three-child policy, and it is very difficult for Chinese working mothers. A policy is a law.
61% of Chinese mothers work, which is the highest number in all of Asia. In the past, there was the one-child policy in China, which meant that couples could have only one child. Now, that policy has a very negative impact on the Chinese population, which is getting old. China wants to encourage couples to have more children, but working mothers have many problems with the new policy.
Working mothers must look after children and the household when they come home from work. Companies discriminate against working mothers because they know that men or other women can work more. Companies do not want to pay maternity leave, which is 98 days and it is with full pay. The government pays only a part of the money, and companies do not like it.
Difficult words: encourage (to help someone feel confident and able to do something), discriminate (to be unfair to someone because of sex, skin color, or age), maternity leave (the time when a woman who has a baby can stay with the baby but still get money from work).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.