Chinese and Russian ships sail near Japan – level 2
The Japanese government said that five Chinese and five Russian ships sailed through the Tsugaru Strait on Monday.
The Tsugaru Strait separates Japan’s main island and the island of Hokkaido. The strait is an international waterway which means that ships can go through it. Still, Japan said that it would watch the ships very carefully.
Earlier this month, Chinese and Russian ships held exercises in the area. The exercises included communications, defense actions, and maneuvering. Experts said that both countries wanted to exercise together, but they also wanted to get Japan’s interest. The Tsugaru Strait is only one of the few ways through the Japanese islands.
Difficult words: strait (a narrow area of water which connects two seas), defense (an action which keeps someone safe from an attack), maneuver (to move soldiers, ships, or other things over a large area).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos