Chinese and Russian ships sail near Japan – level 3
On Monday, the Japanese government said that Chinese and Russian navy ships sailed together through a waterway separating Japan’s main island and its northern island of Hokkaido.
Five Russian and five Chinese ships, including destroyers and frigates, passed through the Tsugaru Strait, one of the few waterways through the series of islands that separate mainland Asia from the Pacific Ocean. The waterway is considered international; however, Japan said it would continue monitoring surrounding waters and the air.
According to international experts, both navies held a military exercise, but their goal was to get Japan’s attention. The exercise earlier this month included communications, sea mine countermeasures, air defense, and joint maneuvering.
Difficult words: frigate (a type of a warship), countermeasure (an action taken against a danger or threat), maneuver (to move soldiers or equipment over a large area).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos