Chinese boy in a washing machine – level 3
A young boy in eastern China had to be rescued after he found himself stuck in a washing machine.
Firefighters had to cut the three-year-old free by opening up the back of the appliance using hydraulic shears.
They managed to remove the drum intact with the boy still inside and then lifted him out.
His parents said they were entertaining guests at home when the boy wandered off to the laundry room unsupervised. It wasn’t until they heard him cry out, unable to move, that they knew where he was and that he was stuck. The child thankfully walked away without injury.
Difficult words: hydraulic (powered by water), shears (big scissors), drum (round part inside a machine), wander off (move away from a place), unsupervised (nobody was looking after him).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos