Chinese Lunar New Year – level 2
The Chinese celebrated the first day of the Chinese Lunar New Year. Around 15 per cent of Thailand’s population is Chinese. Tens of thousands of people came to Bangkok’s Chinatown to celebrate the Year of the Goat.
The Lunar New Year is not a holiday in Thailand, but many Chinese people take time off to be with their families. People closed roads which surround Chinatown for two days. People set up food stalls in the area so everyone could enjoy a good feast. The celebrations also included traditional dance performances from Beijing.
Difficult words: surround (to be around), stall (a small shop at a market), feast (a celebration with food).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What is this year going to be like for you? :-)
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.