Chinese Lunar New Year – level 3
Tens of thousands of people flocked to Bangkok’s Chinatown today to celebrate the first day of the Chinese Lunar New Year.
As people welcomed in the Year of the Goat, roads surrounding Chinatown were closed off for two days of festivities. Food stalls were also set up along the area for people to enjoy a good feast.
This year’s celebrations included traditional dance performances from Beijing.
The Lunar New Year is not a holiday in Thailand, but many ethnic Chinese who make up around 15 per cent of the country’s population take time off to be with their family.
Difficult words: flock (to come in large numbers), festivities (activities and events which celebrate something), stall (a small shop at a market), feast (a celebration with a lot of food), ethnic (relating to a particular nation).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.