Cholera in Mozambique – level 3
Last Wednesday, the first five cases of cholera in Mozambique were confirmed. As of Friday, that number rose to 139. In the city of Beira, the risk of a cholera outbreak is very high.
This disease causes diarrhoea, and it can be deadly if the ill person is not helped. People typically contract it from infected water or food. The World Health Organisation sent over 900 cholera vaccines and 21 medical teams to the affected African country.
Difficult words: outbreak (epidemic, when many people have it), diarrhoea (when you have to poop very often and the poop is like water; this disease can kill you because it makes you lose the water in your body), contract (catch).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos