Cholera outbreak in Zimbabwe – level 2
Zimbabwe’s government is taking strict measures to stop a dramatic rise in cholera cases.
This week, new cases soared to over 12,200, the largest number since the outbreak began in February. Public meetings and selling food on streets are now limited. In Harare, the capital, officials declared a state of emergency. The low-income Kadana suburb has the highest surge in new infections. Residents have to face problems like water supply and garbage.
Shallow wells which once provided enough water for everyone, are now dirty. People get water treatment tablets. With 155 deaths and around 8,800 cases recorded, people worry that the situation may get as serious as in 2008 when over 4,000 died.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What measures have the Zimbabwean government taken to stop the spread of cholera?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.