Christmas Day swim – level 2
A group of swimmers met in London’s Hyde Park in 1864 to compete in a Christmas Day swim. They swam 100 yards (91 metres) in the cold water. This race became a tradition, and people take part in it every year.
This year was no exception. A crowd of people watched the brave swimmers jump into the icy waters, which are usually below 4°C. Not all swimmers can take part in this swim. They must get used to the cold conditions over a period of time, first.
Difficult words: exception (something which is different from what is normal), icy (very cold), get used to something (when something is easy for you to do).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you do on Christmas Day in the morning?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.