Christmas Day swim – level 3
A number of swimmers have taken to the chilly waters of Hyde Park’s Serpentine River for its annual Christmas Day swim.
Yep, choosing to slip in their swimsuits and trunks over a cozy Christmas breakfast, members of the Serpentine Swimming Club took the plunge and swam their traditional 100 yard (91 metres) Christmas Day race.
They braved the icy waters, which are usually below 4°C in the winter, so swimmers must become acclimatised over a period of time.
The annual Christmas Day race is watched each year by a crowd of hundreds who are probably more appropriately dressed for the cold conditions.
The group has met in London’s Hyde Park on Christmas morning since 1864 to compete in a Christmas Day swim. The first ever race was won by H. Coulter who won a gold medal, which then became a customary prize for the winner.
Difficult words: chilly (very cold), annual (happening every year), cozy (warm and comfortable), take the plunge (to do something which makes you nervous/ to jump in water), brave (to face something unpleasant), acclimatise (to get used to something).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.