Christmas in the Zoo – level 2
Christmas for the animals in London Zoo came early this year. The six-month-old Sumatran tiger cubs opened their Christmas presents without waiting. Inside the colored boxes, they found just what they wanted – lumps of meat.
It can be a little unusual, but the keepers here say that it is not only for publicity. They think that it encourages the animals to use their natural skills. It is a really good activity because the cubs are full of energy and this will use all of their morning energy. Then they can sleep like big kittens.
Sumatran tigers are critically endangered. There are only 400 individuals in the wild today, but there were around a thousand in the 1970s.
These cubs were born in London Zoo in June. They were not the only ones enjoying the presents. The meerkats found presents under a mini Christmas tree, too.
It seems even animals know that one of the best things about Christmas is the food. But do not ask the turkeys!
Difficult words: cub (a baby animal like a bear or a tiger), lump (a small piece of something), publicity (marketing), encourage (help), endangered (only a little number exist), treat (a tasty snack, something special), meerkat (a little animal also called a suricate).
You can watch the video news in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.