Christmas in the Zoo – level 3
Christmas for the animals in London Zoo came early this year. The six-month-old Sumatran tiger cubs wasted no time opening their Christmas presents. Inside the brightly colored boxes, they found just what they always wanted – lumps of meat.
Although it may all seem a little unusual, the keepers here insist that it is more than just a publicity stunt. They think that it encourages the animals to use their natural skills. It is a really useful activity since the cubs are full of energy and this will probably use all of their morning energy. Then they can go to sleep like big kittens.
Sumatran tigers are critically endangered. There are fewer than 400 individuals in the wild today, compare to around a thousand in the 1970s.
These cubs were born in London Zoo in June and they were not the only ones enjoying the festive treats. The zoo’s meerkats were also searching under a mini Christmas tree for pine-cone balls.
It seems even animals know that one of the best things about Christmas is the food. Just do not ask the turkeys!
Difficult words: lump (a piece of something), publicity stunt (something that is done to get publicity and attention), meerkat (a little furry animal also called a suricate).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.