Christmas stocking – level 1
The Christmas stocking is one of the Christmas traditions. People hang it on a fireplace or on a wall.
The tradition starts with the legend of Saint Nicholas. Nicholas is a very nice man. Three girls live with their father in a village. The family has little money. The girls cannot get married.
One night, Nicholas drops a bag of gold down the chimney. Socks hang near the chimney. The gold falls in one of the socks. The oldest daughter has money to get married.
Nicholas gives the same gift for the next two years. The two other daughters have money, too.
Nowadays, some people put an orange or a tangerine in the stocking. The fruit is like the gold.
Difficult words: tradition (something that people do for a long time without change), legend (an old story that nobody knows if it is true), chimney (a structure inside a house which takes the smoke from a fire to outside the house).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos