Christmas train – level 3
The multicolored lights of Bogota’s Christmas train have returned to Colombia’s capital for Christmas after it was cancelled last year due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
400-meters-long and comprised of 14 cars, the lit-up trin makes use of old railways that were out of commission in Bogota for more than three decades. The holiday express can carry up to 600 passengers at a time, some of which tend to be foreigners. Staff dressed up as nutcrackers and Santa Claus greeted passengers at the train station, and they passed cabin to cabin to visit passengers as the train chugged along.
The train follows a route through the South American capital, leading to Bogota’s popular attraction, the Salt Cathedral of Zipaquira.
The Christmas train will be running all through December, and according to the train’s manager, besides being a publicity event, the attraction also helps bring joy to the people of Bogota who always come out to see it passing by every night.
Difficult words: comprise (to consist of), out of commission (not in working condition), chug (to move with repeated low sounds like that of a steam engine).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos