Christmas tree on water – level 1
In Rio de Janeiro, there is a Christmas tree. This tree is not ordinary. It is on water! People move it on the water.
The tree is very big, too. It is 53 metres tall. It is 350 tonnes heavy. There are 2.5 million lights on it.
People light up the tree. Many other people watch this.
Difficult words: ordinary (not special), light up (if you light something up, the lights are turned on).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you like the Christmas tree in Rio de Janeiro?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.