Christmas tree on water – level 3
A colourful spectacle of fireworks and lights marked the launching of Rio de Janeiro’s traditional floating Christmas tree on Saturday, December 12th. The massive metal structure, recognised by the Guinness Book of Records as the world’s largest floating Christmas tree, is 53 metres tall and weighs 350 tonnes.
Nearly 200,000 people took to the streets as the tree lit up for its 20th year in Rio’s scenic lagoon, marking the start of the holiday season in Brazil.
And despite the rain, the ceremony delighted the crowds, with this teacher saying that the experience was an unforgettable one that he would remember for the rest of his life.
The Christmas tree uses 2.5 million micro light bulbs to create the three designs that were chosen for this season’s tree. In the coming weeks, the floating tree will be moved around the lagoon so it can be seen from different parts of the city.
Difficult words: spectacle (a great visual performance or display), floating (moving on water), scenic (beautiful).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.