City for Walking – level 2
The city of Pontevedra in the northwest of Spain is great for walking and cycling. Most cars are banned in the city centre, and 73 per cent of journeys in the city are made on foot or by bike.
Since the 1990s, the city has been changing. Seventy per cent of public space is for people and only 30 per cent for cars. There has not been a deadly road accident since 2001, and the CO2 emission levels dropped by 67 per cent since the 1990s.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.