City for Walking – level 3
The city of Pontevedra in the northwest of Spain has been transformed over the past 20 years by policies prioritising pedestrians over cars.
Miguel Anxo Fernández, the mayor of Pontevedra, said that people changed the paradigm – giving 70 per cent of public space to the people and 27–30 per cent to the cars.
City streets have radically changed and there have been zero fatal road accidents since 2011 as well as a 67 per cent drop in CO2 emissions since the 1990s.
Most cars are banned from the medieval city centre and 73 per cent of journeys in the city are made on foot or by bike.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.