City in Orange Fog – level 3
Unprecedented wildfires have plunged the San Francisco Bay into an apocalyptic orange glow.
One morning, the dramatic haze obscured views of the city’s famous Golden Gate Bridge, and it stunned Bay Area residents. According to experts, the effect is from all the smoke that is sitting at lower elevations, and it is filtering the sun and producing various shades of orange.
A massive cloud of smoke and ash has covered much of California, as the fires keep burning in the northern part of the state. A record 2.3 million acres have been burned across the state since the start of the wildfire season, with over 14,000 firefighters battling the fires.
Difficult words: plunge (to change suddenly), unprecedented (never done or known before), apocalyptic (disastrous), catastrophic), obscure (to keep something from being seen).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos