City Takes Away Statue – level 1
In the USA, the Virginia governor wants to take away a statue of General Robert E. Lee. Lee is an important person in American history. Lee fights in the American Civil War. This is a war where people in America fight each other.
Lee fights for the southern states. He wants to keep black people as slaves. A slave is a person who is not free. This person belongs to somebody else. In American history, many white people have black slaves.
A statue of Lee is in Richmond, Virginia. Last week, many people protest over the death of George Floyd. Floyd is a black man. Police kill him. In Richmond, people break the statue during the protests.
The statue reminds people of the sad history of black people in the US. However, other people say that it is an important part of history. They want to keep the statue.
The city wants to take away other statues, too.
Difficult words: governor (the leader of a US state), general (the leader of soldiers), protest (when many people walk in streets because they do not agree with something), remind (to bring back memories of something).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.