City Takes Away Statue – level 3
The Virginia governor, Ralph Northam, announced that a statue honoring Confederate Robert E. Lee is going to be removed. Northam said that in 2020 people can no longer honor a system that was based on enslaving people.
Some people see the memorials as markers of US history and southern culture, and they say that Confederate statues should not be destroyed. However, to others they serve as an offensive reminder of the country’s history of slavery and racial oppression.
The monument is located on Monument Avenue in Richmond, Virginia, and it has been vandalized during recent protests over the killing of George Floyd. The Richmond mayor, Levar Stoney, said that the city is going to remove all Confederate monuments on Monument Avenue.
Difficult words: Confederate (this was the name for the group of southern states that fought the northern states in the American Civil War), enslave (to make someone lose his freedom), marker (something to help you remember something), slavery (when someone legally owns somebody else, and this person must work for the owner and follow his orders), oppression (when people are treated unfairly and cruelly).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos