City Under Snow – level 1
Norilsk is a city in Russia. It is the northernmost city in Russia. It lies close to the Arctic Circle. The Arctic Circle is an imaginary line about 2,600 kilometers from the North Pole. It means that this place is very cold.
Snow starts to fall a lot in Norilsk a few weeks ago. High winds have a speed of 100 kmph. Cars and roads are under the snow. Authorities must close the airport. It is not safe for planes. Authorities clear around 400,000 tons of snow.
The weather is wild. The local people have problems to travel to work. Winters in Norilsk are always cold and hard. Bad weather does not make the people unhappy.
Difficult words: northernmost (the farthest to the north), imaginary (something that people imagine and it is not real), speed (how fast something is).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos