City Under Snow – level 2
The city of Norilsk is located in Siberia, Russia, and it is the most northerly city in the country. It lies only 300 kilometers north of the Arctic Circle which is an imaginary line that marks the north of Earth.
A few weeks ago, high winds of up to 100 kmph brought heavy snowfall. In some places, the snow was more than two meters high. It buried cars and roads. The winds were so strong that local authorities decided to close the local airport. Authorities said that they cleared around 400,000 tons of snow from the city in the last two months.
The extreme weather had a big impact on traveling, but it did not seem to upset local people at all.
Difficult words: imaginary (unreal), snowfall (snow that falls in a place in some time), bury (to cover something completely), traveling (when you travel).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos