City Under Snow – level 3
For the past week, residents of the most northerly city in Siberia, Russia, have been waking up to more and more snow.
The city of Norilsk is located 300 kilometers north of the Arctic Circle, and in December, the temperature can reach minus 30 degrees Celsius. The city has been battered by snowstorms for days, with blizzards reaching 100 kmph. Local authorities estimate that they have removed 400,000 tons of snow from the city over the past two months. In some places, the snow reached head height and it completely buried vehicles and roads.
The extreme weather has caused significant disruption to public transport and air travel with the airport being currently closed. However, the residents have not let the harsh winds and huge piles of snow get them down.
Difficult words: the Arctic Circle (an imaginary line that circles Earth’s northernmost end), batter (to strike repeatedly with hard blows), blizzard (a severe snowstorm with high winds).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos