Clean Sydney Waters – level 2
Every year, around 8 million tons of plastic end up in the ocean, and in many places, people find plastic on beaches when they swim in seas and rivers.
Laura Stone is an Australian and she got an idea on how to clean the Sydney Harbor. She organizes kayak tours where she works as a guide. She takes people on tours in the harbor, and people pick up plastic along the way. Every month, people collect over 180 kilograms of trash and the result is amazing. People who come to the harbor say that the water is much cleaner.
Stone said that people enjoyed the tours because it was something that they could do during the coronavirus pandemic. People could not travel, but they wanted to spend time outside. People started to recycle more and to think about how much plastic they used.
Difficult words: kayak (a long narrow boat for one person to sit in), trash (things which people throw away), recycle (to use again material which people throw away, usually plastic, glass, and paper, and make new things from it).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.