Cliff diving in Portugal – level 1
A competition happens in Portugal. It is the Red Bull Cliff Diving Competition. People jump off of a cliff. They do some tricks when they fall. Then they go into the water.
It is not easy to jump well. The jumpers must be ready. They must think only about their jumps. Around 2,000 people watch the competition. An American man wins. He is 29 years old. A man from Columbia gets second place.
Difficult words: competition (situation when people try to be better than others at something), cliff (high rock which is close to the sea), dive (jump into the water).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Have you ever jumped off a cliff?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.