Coach crashes in Japan – level 3
A coach carrying participants in a ski tour has crashed in Japan, killing 14 people and injuring another 27. The bus strayed onto the wrong side of the road and smashed through a guardrail, sliding several metres down the mountainside.
It is not immediately clear what caused the crash, as there was no snow or ice on the road. Japan’s transport ministry has launched an investigation into what happened.
Japanese chief cabinet secretary, Yoshihide Suga, said that the latest information was that of the 41 people on board, no one escaped unharmed, and that there would be an investigation into what fully happened, and that the government will look to prevent accidents like this, first of all look into the cause of the accident and implement safety measures.
At the horrific sight where the bus came off the road a crowd of people had gathered trying to see what had happened.
According to Japanese media, the bus crashed at 1:55 a.m. locally and the two drivers were among those killed.
Difficult words: coach (a bus used for longer journeys), ski tour (skiing across open country), stray (o tmove away from the correct course), unharmed (not injured), implement (to put into effect), measure (something that you do to achieve something), gather (to come).
What do you think caused the crash?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.