Coca-Cola and plastic – level 3
Coca-Cola said that it’ll aim for 25% of its global packaging to be reusable and to recycle all packaging by 2030.
In the past, environmental groups criticized Coca-Cola for worldwide plastic pollution, and they praised the company’s move. The company was the world’s worst plastic polluter for the fourth year in a row in 2021, and only 16% of its packaging was reusable in 2020. Coca-Cola acknowledged that food and drink companies were responsible for much of the litter on streets, beaches, and in the oceans worldwide.
The company also said that it followed the idea of a circular economy where resources such as aluminum, plastic, and glass are reused rather than thrown away. However, critics said that the company should focus on reducing instead of recycling waste.
Difficult words: praise (to express respect or approval of what someone did), acknowledge (to admit that something’s true), circular economy (a system in which raw materials, components, and products lose little value).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos