Cocaine business – level 1
Farmers in Colombia grow coca. This plant contains cocaine. Cocaine is an illegal drug.
Colombia makes about 2,000 tons of cocaine every year. This amount is two times more than ten years ago. Coca farmers get only little money. The drug mafia makes money when it sells cocaine. The cocaine business has an impact on many countries and people. The Colombian government wants to change the situation.
Officials punish coca farmers. They talk with military groups, too. The groups control the drugs. The officials cannot change the situation.
The new president does not want to fight with farmers. He wants to fight with the mafia.
Difficult words: illegal (against the rules), mafia (an organized group of people who do crimes), punish (to do something bad if someone doesn’t do what you want).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos