Cocaine business – level 3
The golden age of cocaine is after the time when Pablo Escobar was the drug kingpin; it’s happening right now.
People produce about 2,000 tons of cocaine every year, which is almost double the amount produced a decade ago. In Colombia, growers used around 200,000 hectares of land for coca last year, which is five times more than at the height at Escobar’s Medellín Cartel.
The global fallout is showing up everywhere from the warehouses of Antwerp, Belgium, to coups in West Africa. The situation brings violence, corruption, and big profits.
Colombian cocaine production began to rise ten years ago when the government started negotiations with the largest guerrilla group. However, when the guerrillas disbanded, new groups filled the areas that they occupied. The new groups threatened to kill farmers if they cooperated with government programs to eradicate coca.
New Columbian president Gustavo Petro wants to stop the mafia and big shipments of cocaine rather than the poorest coca farmers.
Difficult words: kingpin (a person that is essential to the success of an organization or operation), fallout (the negative result of a situation or action), eradicate (to destroy something bad).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos