Colours of the Ballet Shoe – level 2
Traditionally, ballet shoes come in a pink colour, but now a manufacturer will produce them in darker skin tones as well.
This idea came from a black soloist at the Royal Ballet in London. Every time he performed to with bare legs, he had to paint make-up onto his shoes to match his skin. He didn’t want to waste his time, so he went to social media where a ballet shoe manufacturer contacted him.
The colour was even named after the dancer – Eric. More importantly, this paves the way to greater inclusion in the ballet world.
Difficult words: bare (naked), pave (to prepare, to make things easier), inclusion (when something is included – people with darker skin tones, in this case).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
Do you think ballet shoes should come in more colours?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos