Colours of the Ballet Shoe – level 3
Traditionally, ballet shoes are in a pink colour, which means that non-white dancers had to paint make-up onto their shoes when performing with bare legs.
Soloist at the Royal Ballet, Eric Underwood, became frustrated at wasting valuable warm-up time before shows and the marks left behind when he danced, so he went to social media to vent his frustration. This lead to a leading ballet shoe manufacturer to recognise the need for darker flesh tones and get in touch with him.
People named the colour after the dancer Eric, but more importantly, the change paves the way to greater inclusion in the ballet world.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
Do you think ballet shoes should come in more colours?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.