Companies in Mexico need more electricity – level 3
Industrial parks and warehouse operators in Mexico, desperate for electricity to power their booming operations, are offering to pay out of their own pockets to build solar panels.
However, this threatens government control of energy markets. On top of a strained national grid, electricity demand is only expected to grow as big companies like Tesla and others set up operations amid a trend known as nearshoring, especially in the country’s north.
Mexico caps self-generated renewable energy at 500 kilowatts in what’s called distributed generation. Industrial Parks Association is asking the government to expand that limit, one of the workarounds to boost much-needed capacity. As the world slowly moves away from fossil fuels, President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador has increased the country’s reliance on them at the expense of private sector-led renewable projects.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
How will the self-generated renewable energy cap affect industrial and warehouse operators in Mexico?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.