Complicated landing in England – level 3
This footage shows the frightening moment an aeroplane was buffeted around by high winds, as it tried to land at Leeds Bradford Airport.
The plane can be seen swaying from side to side in the gale-force winds, as it approached the runway in West Yorkshire.
The skilful pilots managed to keep control and gradually bring it in safely to land in what is considered to be one of the most difficult airports to land at.
It approaches the runway at a visible angle with its wings tilted as it’s blown about in the high winds currently battering the country. The gale-force landings come, as 60-miles-per-hour winds (97 kilometres per hour) have struck the north of England today, causing a wave of travel problems.
Difficult words: footage (a video), buffet (to hit and move with a lot of force), sway (to move), gale-force (very strong wind), tilt (to move something to one side), batter (to hit something again and again), visible (obvious).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.