Conflict in Syria – level 3
On April 7th, there was a chemical attack in Duoma, Syria, in which 40–60 people died and between 500 to 1,000 people needed medical help.
On Friday 13th, experts from OPCW (Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons) reported that they would take samples from victims and from the site of the alleged attack.
Washington and London said with ‘very high confidence’ that the Syrian government carried out the attack. Syria claims it did not carry out the attack, and Russia stated that Britain staged the attack as a pretext for launching a wider military assault on Syria. The UK, unsurprisingly, says that this is not true.
Regardless of there being no agreement on who carried out the attack, the USA, UK and France attacked Syria. British Prime Minister Theresa May said that chemical weapons storage and production facilities were hit.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.