Congo beer factory – level 2
A French company built a beer factory in Beni, Democratic Republic of Congo. Two Ebola outbreaks and rebel violence didn’t stop the beer, but the factory is facing many problems.
Congo is a poor country, and for many people, the factory is their only hope to earn some money. 73% of people live on less than 1.9 dollars a day.
Between 2013 and 2021, the factory’s output tripled, and last year, it made 600,000 hectoliters of beer.
The company built a second filling line, but workers struggle to deliver beer to some areas. Some roads are in a very bad state, and they are dangerous because of the rebel groups.
Difficult words: outbreak (a sudden start to something unpleasant, for example, a war or disease), output (how much a company or machine makes), filling line (a part of a factory where a machine fills bottles).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.