Congo fights – level 2
Last week, heavy fights started in eastern Congo. Fighters of the rebel group M23 attacked soldiers near the border with Uganda and Rwanda.
The attack started at night, and the situation wasn’t clear at all. The attack was about 50 kilometers from the city of Goma. Exactly the same attack happened in November 2021. At that time, the M23 took hold of two strategic villages, which were very important for the rebels. In 2013, the army chased the rebels into Uganda and Rwanda, and the villages were the last two places, which the rebels controlled.
The army and M23 tried to stop the fights for years, but it was very difficult. Both sides weren’t able to make a deal.
Difficult words: rebel (a person who fights against the government), strategic (very important), chase (to run after someone).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos