Congo fights – level 3
Last week on Monday, heavy fighting started in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo. Fighters from the M23 rebel group attacked the army near the border with Uganda and Rwanda.
The fighting began approximately 50 kilometers northeast of the provincial capital of Goma. Troops came to respond and chase the enemy; however, it wasn’t clear who was in control of the area.
In November 2021, the M23 briefly seized the two strategic villages in a similar overnight attack. The villages were the last strongholds of the M23 before soldiers chased its fighters into Uganda and Rwanda in 2013. Since then, there have been efforts to establish dialogue and disarmament; however, they haven’t been successful.
Difficult words: seize (to take something by force), stronghold (a well defended place), disarmament (when you take away or give up weapons).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos