Conjoined Twins Born in Palestine – level 3
In the Gaza Strip, conjoined twins were born at a hospital after a Caesarean surgery and a full-term pregnancy. The twins are joined at their abdomen and pelvis and have separate heads and lungs.
The hospital is not able to perform a separation surgery, so the twins will need to go to another country. A neonatal doctor explained that the hospitals in Palestine do not normally deal with such cases that need such advanced medical care for Siamese children. The USA and Saudi Arabia have this experience.
Many conjoined twins die after 24 hours, but these twin girls are alive and eating through their mouths.
Difficult words: conjoined twins (twins whose bodies are connected), Caesarean surgery (when doctors cut a mother open to remove her baby or babies), full-term pregnancy (when a baby or babies are born after 9 months), abdomen (the upper body), pelvis (the middle part of the body where the legs come out of), neonatal (relating to a new-born baby), Siamese (an old-fashioned term for conjoined twins).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.